When my boys get ready for school, it is a very tiring event. They go back to bed because they are cold. They jostle each other at the breakfast table, slopping cereal everywhere. They manage to wipe toothpaste all over the bathroom cupboards, my hairbrush, and sometimes themselves. And to top it all off, they always end up goofing around and wrestling or giving each other piggy back rides up and down the hall. In spite of all my pleading, bribes, nagging, and various threats (from “I’m going to take you to school looking like that” to “No more Nintendo for the rest of your lives!”) I get no results. It is like we are in parallel universes. They don’t even register my presence. Or that I am actually talking to them. Needless to say, they are late a lot of the time. So I should have know yesterday morning was too good to be true when they wound up ready to go 15 minutes before we need to leave. I thought “This is great” and I rewarded them with a quick little bit of a cartoon. So, they are sitting and watching this cartoon and I am putting on my shoes. I am so happy that the morning went pretty well. I was totally caught off guard when my 7 year old yelled out “Fire!” Yep, a fire – in the space heater. Seems some little girl stuck a soft toy through the vents on the front of the space heater. And then she plugged it in. So the little toy started to burn. Little flames are coming out of the front of the space heater. I don’t think I even thought about what to do. You just react. I picked up the space heater and told the kids to stay where they were. (I didn’t want to leave it with them) I ran out into the foyer with it and put it down on the floor. I took the stairs three at a time and grabbed the biggest glass I could. Filled it really full. Ran back down to the burning heater and poured that water on it. Fire out, right? Nope. It only sizzled. AAAAAHHH! Back up the stairs for another glass of water. Back to the heater. The flames look bigger now. I carefully knock the heater over on it’s side and pour the water right into the vents this time. Phew – fire goes out this time. Oh, look at that – we’re late for school… (sigh)
*Disclaimer* No actual children were harmed in this situation. Property damage was contained to a small space heater and a soft toy. Some teachers experienced minor classroom disruption. Space heater pictured is a reproduction. All persons who took part in this event remain in good health and have suffered no emotional trauma. : )
Have a great day!